Our house and barn were built in the early 1800′s by the Coleman family.  The farm was primarily in dairy production until the 1980′s.  Teams of horses were used to work the fields and transport milk.  The horse chew marks on the stalls can still be seen.  In the mid-1800′s, Hinesburg was home to 122 dairy farms.   However, by 2011 only one of the original dairy farms remains in production.   Most of Hinesburg’s early dairy farmers shipped their milk to the Hinesburg Valley Cheese Co. and the Hinesburg Creamery formally on Main Street.

 

 

In 1940, Albert Boutin purchased the farm. The dead end road leading to the farm bears his family name. Albert and his wife Georgette raised nine children. All of the children worked on the farm. Albert milked 30 Holstein cows, selling his milk to Agrimark Co-op. Georgette raised over 2000 chickens, peddling eggs to local markets. Chicken coops covered the hill behind the house. The Boutins also raised sheep, pigs and many vegetables. In March, they did some maple sugaring. Georgette planted many apple trees. Our North field is located on the site of the former orchard.  Two of the original apple trees still stand there. In 1965, the dairy barn caught fire burning 30 acres to the south. The southside of the horse barn and wood shed still show scorched wood. Albert relocated his milking parlour to his Shelburne/Hinesburg Road barn. This barn collapsed in 2011 due to the snowload. Our hoophouse and raised beds are built on the original dairy barn’s foundation.

 

`

In 1994, Dan and I bought the original Boutin farmhouse, barn, 20 acres of land, outbuildings, spring and pond. The house had been rented and had fallen into disrepair. We should have known we were in for a major challenge, when we asked our home inspector for his honest opinion and he responded with, “You’re still young.”  We have spent the last fifteen years renovating the house and outbuildings and clearing overgrown fields. Various farmers have taken the hay off of the 12 acre field behind the house, keeping the land open. Dan built a 200’ stone retaining wall behind the house in 1999. The horse barn renovation is still on going. Our monumental goal for this summer is to finish the renovation to utilize the space as a 3-season farm-store.